Youth Groups at Advent do all of the same things that most church youth groups do: fun, fellowship events, parties, Bible study, service and mission work, and youth led worship services.
But that’s not all we do. Our ministry to youth is built around special events that we acknowledge and celebrate together as a congregation. These events are not just rites of passage; they are also significant markers along a young person’s spiritual journey. We call them Milestones. With each of our children and youth, we joyfully celebrate many Milestones of their faith journey: Baptism, entering Sunday School, starting Kindergarten, receiving the Holy Scriptures, joining the church family in Holy Communion, experiencing Mission & Service, Confirmation of one’s faith, and High School Graduation.
Our Milestone Ministry is based on our belief that nurturing faith in children and youth requires a strong partnership between the congregation and the family. Our parents are very involved in developing the faith of their children in the home as well as in the church setting. Our youth groups are led by parents and other committed adults from the congregation who seek to support families as they raise their children to experience the presence of Christ in all of life. Milestone Ministry is a key way our congregation helps parents to live out the promises made at their children’s baptisms.
Our youth groups for K-5th graders meet on the first Sunday of each month. They enjoy a lunch together then break into their individual youth groups for activities.
- This year Kids 4 Christ (K-2nd graders) are learning about what happens when kids pray. Their monthly meetings will include stories, fun craft activities, and games. This group also celebrates the Blessing of the Backpacks for new kindergartners at the start of the school year and the Milestone of Holy Communion during Lent. For more information see Andy Goerke or Laura Torrence.
- Our Mustard Seeds group (3rd-5th graders) meets to do a variety of service projects. They advertise the CROP walk, prepare the Angel Tree for the congregation, and collect the Souper Bowl offering. The Mustard Seeds also take a few road trips—to Youth Quake in the fall and BYG camp in the spring. Mustard Seeds celebrates the Milestone of Holy Scripture when our third graders receive Bibles on Reformation Sunday. For more information see Kim Voelker or Tracy Heberlig.
Our youth groups for 6th-12th graders meet together on the first Friday of each month from 7-10pm in the church gym for an evening of fellowship, service, learning and worship. Each month has its own unique theme. This fall First Fridays will be held on September 6 “Welcome Back to Hogwarts”, October 4 “Thrift Store Prom”, November 1 “All Saints Day” and December 6 “Advent Adventure.”
- Rt 67, our youth group for 6th and 7th graders, celebrates the Milestone of Witness and Service with a fun lock-in designed around service activities and exploration of Jesus’ words in Matthew 25:35-36. One of their most important projects is preparation of the Advent Has Heart bags for our congregation. Rt 67 meets at different times during the month for events planned by their leaders. Rt 67 takes an annual mission trip during the summer. This past summer they served through Lutherock Camp. For more information about Rt 67 please see Sharon Thrower or Kelly Schrader.
- 812 is our youth group for 8th-12th graders. They don’t usually meet on a set day, but schedule many events throughout the month. This group loves to play kickball and dodgeball and go to movies or Christian concerts together. Our 812 youth are involved in the Teens Encounter Christ movement and the Lutheran Youth Organization and are very committed to outreach ministries. They plan monthly outings to the Free Store in Charlotte, serve weekly at Room in the Inn, and take a mission trip each summer. This past summer the group served in Philadelphia. For more information please see Resa Baumann, Tony Poovey or Caroline Grubb.
- We also have a youth group for our youngest members! Little Lambs is a fellowship group for preschoolers and their parents. They offer quarterly special events including a Christmas storytelling time with pageant costumes, an Easter egg hunt, and family dinners and picnics. The goals of Little Lambs include providing opportunities for friendships and resources to help parents live out the promises they made at their children’s baptisms. Please see Laura Keck or Toni Hagerman for more information.
For more information please contact our Director of Spiritual Development, Toni Hagerman at email@example.com or 704-549-1555. Click HERE for information regarding our Music Ministry for Children.